10 Things You Didn’t Know IBB’s Spokesperson Of Almost 14 Years, Kassim Afegbua
Not many people may have known Prince Kassim Afegbua until February 4, 2018 when statement of ex-military leader, Ibrahim Babangida went viral.
IBB had called for Buhari’s resignation through his media aide (Kassim Afegbua) urging for a new breed of leaders in the statement but shortly after, he (IBB) retracted his statement denying the statement.
The Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris on Monday called for his arrest but Afegbua however insisted IBB ordered him to release the statement.This has however continued to stir up controversy.
We bring you 10 things about Afegbua, the man in the centre of the storm.
1. Prince Kassim Afegbua was born on August 23, 1969 to the famous and distinguished Late Suleiman Afegbua of Okpella, Edo State.
2. Afegbua had his primary and secondary education in Edo State.
3.He proceeded to study English Language at the prestigious Obafemi Awolowo University, IIe-Ife. Thereafter, he ventured into Nigeria Institute of Journalism (NIJ) and studied Public Relations where passed out with distinction. Afegbua has a postgraduate in anti-corruption studies and good governance from United States.
4.He delved into politics in 1996 and became a protocol officer to M.D. Yusufu.
5. Afegbua later worked at the PDP headquarters for two years. He left the PDP to form the National Frontier with Edwin Ume-Ezeoke as chairman. The National Frontiers was later transformed to National Democratic Party (NDP) having Afegbua as the foundation Director of Publicity.
6.Afegbua rose to become the Director-General of NDP before he was appointed as spokesman to IBB in 2005, a role he manages till date.
7.Ex-Edo State Governor, Adams Oshiomhole appointed Afegbua as Special Adviser, Media and Public Affairs in November 2002.
8. Oshiomhole later made him Commissioner for Information and Orientation in February 2016.
9.Afegbua is seen by many as an orator, intelligent and knowledgeable young man due to his profound contributions on matters of national importance on behalf of his master. Others see him as a controversial politician and public affairs analyst perhaps, because of his blunt nature and his critical stance on issues related to IBB.
10. He is an intellectual, a sage and a prolific writer to the core.