15 Things You Should Know About Musiliu Smith, The New Police Service Commission Chairman
Musiliu succeeds Mike Okiro, also a former Inspector-General.
Here are 15 things you didn’t know about him
1. Alhaji Musiliu Adeola Kunbi Smith was born to the famous Smith family of Offin/Alakoro in central Lagos, on April 17, 1946.
2. His father, the late Alhaji Liasu Akande Smith (MON), was the first Surveyor General of Lagos State and a former National President of Ansar-Ud-Deen Society of Nigeria while his mother was the late Alhaja Abadat Eniola Smith, also a staunch member of the society in her lifetime.
3. Alhaji Smith had his earliest educational pursuit at the Ansar-Ud-Deen Primary School Alakoro, Lagos, between 1952 – 1959, and later attended Ansar-ud-deen College, Isolo, Lagos, from 1960- 1964.
4. His first working experience after his secondary education was at the then Lagos City Council as an Account Clerk between 1965 and 1967. He successfully read for his GCE Advanced Level papers during the period and got promoted to the rank of Account Clerk Grade II.
5. He proceeded to the University of Lagos in 1967 and graduated with an Honours degree in Sociology in 1970, as a member of the first set of Sociology graduates of the University.
6. On his graduation in June 1970 from University of Lagos, he was employed by Lagos State Government as an Assistant Secretary, where he worked till he started his Police Career on 1st April, 1971, as a member of the Police Cadet ASP Course 2, which ran from April 1971 to May 1972.
7. He was posted to Enugu, where he functioned as Assistant Superintendent (Administration) for then Enugu Province. His further police training took him to Durham Constabulary Department, England and Police Staff College, Jos. In both institutions, Mr. Smith gave a good account of himself.
8. Between 1973 and 1978, he was an instructor at the Police College, Ikeja, Lagos, from where he was posted to the then Gongola State and deployed as Divisional Police Officer (DPO) Mubi, now in Adamawa State. Thus started a glowing career, which culminated in his appointment as Commandant, Police College, Orji River, in 1987.
9. In 1988, he was promoted Commissioner of Police and moved to Lagos where he took over control of the Criminal Intelligence Divisional Force. As commissioner, he held sway in several Commands including: Criminal Intelligence Bureau, Force CID ; Kwara State Command, and Plateau State Command.
10.He went for further training at the National War College (1994-1995) and on graduation proceeded to complete a master’s programme in strategic studies at the University of Ibadan.
11.In early 1996, Mr. Smith was promoted Assistant Inspector-General and posted to Command Zone 1 with Headquarters in Kano. It was while there that he was appointed a member of the Provisional Ruling Council in September 1998.
12. On May 29, 1999, ‘MS’ as he was fondly called by close friends, was appointed the Inspector-General of Police (IGP). He succeeded Ibrahim Coomassie, who had held the post since 1993. He was asked to retire from active service of the Nigerian police force as IGP by Obasanjo on March 6, 2002.He was replaced by Mustafa Adebayo Balogun.
13. Mr. Smith is a proud recipient of the National Award of the Commander of the Federal Republic (CFR). He was the last but one National President of the Ansar-Ud-Deen College Old Boys’ Association. A distinguished honouree of UNILAG Alumni Achievers Award, Alhaji M.A.K. Smith was also the Pioneer Chairman, Skye Bank Plc from January 2006 to 30th September 2010. In addition, he also served on the Board of many other companies as either Chairman or Director.
14.Alhaji Smith was honoured with the degree of Doctor of Science (D.Sc) Honoris Causa of the Lagos State University, few years ago and also of, Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin.Between August 2007 and December 2008, he served the nation as one of the eminent Nigerians on the Electoral Reform Committee.
15.He is happily married to ALHAJA ARIAT ADEROJU SMITH since 25th September, 1977 and the union is blessed with successful children.