Father Of The Groom, Prince Charles To Walk Meghan Markle Down The Aisle
Ms Markle’s own father, Thomas Markle, this week confirmed he would not attend the ceremony due to his ill health.
In a statement, Kensington Palace said Ms Markle had asked Prince Charles, the heir to the throne, to accompany her down the aisle of the Quire of St George’s Chapel on her wedding day.
The statement implied that Ms Markle would still enter the chapel alone with her bridesmaids and page boys, as the Quire is located about half-way down the church.
The announcement came as Buckingham Palace confirmed the Queen’s husband Prince Philip would also be attending the ceremony.
The 96-year-old had successful hip replacement surgery last month and retired last year from public appearances.
Ms Markle yesterday confirmed her father would not attend her wedding in order to focus on his health.
“Sadly, my father will not be attending our wedding,” Ms Markle said in the statement.
“I have always cared for my father and hope he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health.
“I would like to thank everyone who has offered generous messages of support.
“Please know how much Harry and I look forward to sharing our special day with you on Saturday.”
Mr Markle announced this week that he would not be attending his daughter’s wedding to avoid embarrassing her and the Royal family..
The 73-year-old also said he had suffered a heart attack last week and underwent surgery on Wednesday.