Dame Sarah Storey has done it again in the Paralympics.
She won her first golds at the Barcelona games in 1992 as a swimmer.
Now the 46-year-old has won her 19th gold in a thrilling 44 mile cycling road race in Paris this morning – narrowly beating a French teenager who is 27 years younger than her.
As your White House correspondent, I ask the tough questions and seek the answers that matter.
Your support enables me to be in the room, pressing for transparency and accountability. Without your contributions, we wouldn’t have the resources to challenge those in power.
Your donation makes it possible for us to keep doing this important work, keeping you informed every step of the way to the November election
Andrew Feinberg
White House Correspondent
Donald Trump will not be sentenced in his hush money case until after the presidential election in November, as the judge overseeing the criminal case against the former president moved his imminent court date to avoid the appearance of political interference in the crucial weeks before Election Day.
Trump, the first president to be convicted of a crime, will not face Justice Juan Merchan in a Manhattan courtroom until November 26, nearly six months after a unanimous jury found him guilty on 34 felony counts of falsifying business records.
The judge had already delayed Trump’s sentencing to September 18 after initially scheduling Trump’s date in court for July 11.
Judge Merchan agreed to Trump’s first request to push back the hearing while he considered his arguments to toss the verdict in the wake of the Supreme Court’s “immunity” decision, which determined that presidents can be shielded from some criminal prosecution for official acts carried out while in office.
The judge has also paused a decision on that motion — which was expected this month — until November 12.
A sentencing hearing — if one is “necessary” after Merchan’s decision on Trump’s immunity claims — will follow on November 26.
Election Day is November 5.
In their request to delay his sentencing until after November’s election, Trump’s attorneys accused the court and prosecutors of “election interference” and argued that the timing for the September 18 court date “illustrates just how unreasonable it is to have the potential for only a single day” between the immunity decision and what they called an “unwarranted sentencing.”
Attorneys Todd Blanche and Emil Bove claimed “there is no valid countervailing reason for the Court to keep the current sentencing date on the calendar” and “no basis for continuing to rush.”
In his four-page order on Friday, Judge Merchan said the arguments from Trump’s attorneys reintroduce a “litany of perceived and unsubstantiated grievances from previous filings that do not merit this Court’s attention and will not be addressed.
But he added that there were “several reasons” why he agreed to postpone the sentencing hearing.
“This matter is one that stands alone, in a unique place in this Nation’s history, and this Court has presided over it since its inception — from arraignment to jury verdict and a plenitude of motions and other matters in-between,” Merchan wrote.
“Were this Court to decide, after careful consideration of the Supreme Court’s [decision], that this case should proceed, it will be faced with one of the most critical and difficult decisions a trial court judge faces — the sentencing of a defendant found guilty of crimes by a unanimous jury of his peers,” he added.
The jury in Trump’s hush money trial “served diligently,” and the verdict they reached “must be respected and addressed in a manner that is not diluted by the enormity of the upcoming presidential election,” according to Merchan.
“Unfortunately, we are now at a place in time that is fraught with complexities rendering the requirements of a sentencing hearing, should one be necessary, difficult to execute,” he said.
“This is not a decision this Court makes lightly,” Merchan concluded, “but it is the decision which in this Court’s view, best advances the interests of justice.”
Trump was convicted on May 30 after 16 days of witness testimony and two days of jury deliberations.
A jury found Trump guilty on all 34 counts of falsifying business records as part of an effort to conceal reimbursements to his then-attorney Michal Cohen, who bought the silence of adult film star Stormy Daniels to prevent her from going public with her story about having sex with Trump in 2006.
Prosecutors argued that Trump’s efforts sought to corruptly influence the outcome of the 2016 by hiding politically damaging stories about then-candidate Trump in the weeks before Election Day.
âHiqaâs chief inspector of social services made a decision to cancel the registration of Aperee Living Camp arising from serious concerns about the governance and management of the centre, and the impact on the care and welfare of residents,â it said.
In September 2023 Hiqa highlighted financial concerns about the Camp facility and raised âserious concernsâ about the management of money belonging to residents in the nursing home run by Aperee.
Hiqa said the Tralee nursing home had a âsignificantâ list of creditors, several of whom had refused to provide further services until they were paid.
In a separate statement on Friday, HSE Cork Community Healthcare said it had been notified by Hiqa that it had cancelled the registration of Aperee Living, Camp, Co Kerry as an approved residential care provider.
âWe wish to assure everyone that our focus at this time is ensuring the welfare of the residents at this private nursing home during this difficult time for the residents, their loved ones and staff.
âWe are liaising with Aperee Living Camp and Hiqa and we will take interim charge of the nursing home next Wednesday.
Seven MPs suspended by Labour could face a fresh crackdown by party bosses if they vote against the government’s decision to means test winter fuel payments, HuffPost UK can reveal.
John McDonnell, Richard Burgon, Zarah Sultana, Ian Byrne, Apsana Begum, Imran Hussain and Rebecca Long-Bailey had the party whip taken off them for six months in July after they defied Keir Starmer to back calls for the two child benefit cap to be scrapped.
However, they are still expected to vote with the government while they serve their suspension.
A party source said: “Their suspension letter says they are still expected to follow the Labour whip, which they are sent weekly.”
Ministers have agree to a Commons vote next Tuesday on chancellor Rachel Reeves’ controversial decision to remove winter fuel payments from around 10 million pensioners.
Two of the seven rebels – McDonnell and Sultana – have already said they are prepared to vote against the government again unless ministers water down their plans.
Four others – Burgon, Hussain, Byrne and Begum – have also signed a Commons motion calling on ministers to U-turn.
Sultana told HuffPost UK: “I’m planning to vote to keep pensioners out of fuel poverty as I did with voting to lift the two child benefit cap to keep children out of poverty.
“I look forward to the process about the whip concluding in January.”
McDonnell said: “I have told the whips that unless the government comes up with a serious change in its proposal, I will vote against.”
But HuffPost UK has learned that if they do vote against the government, they are unlikely to get the Labour whip back when their current suspension ends in January.
A Labour source said: “It is a shame that some MPs who were only too happy to ride the coat tails of the party’s success at the election are now using the incredibly difficult things we have to do to yet again undermine the government and their colleagues.
“If they are more comfortable hanging out with Jeremy Corbyn and his friends, they should just be honest about it.”
Labour insiders fear as many as 20 of the party’s MPs could rebel on Tuesday, however at this stage there are no plans to take the whip off them.
Today, we bring you the latest news from the front lines, analyse the latest developments in Russia with former British Defence Attache John Foreman and we interview the director of a new documentary series, The Zelensky Story.
Listen to Ukraine: the Latest, The Telegraph’s daily podcast, using the audio player at the top of this article or on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or your favourite podcast app.
War in Ukraine is reshaping our world. Every weekday The Telegraph’s top journalists analyse the invasion from all angles – military, humanitarian, political, economic, historical – and tell you what you need to know to stay updated.
With over 70 million listens, our Ukraine: The Latest podcast is your go-to source for all the latest analysis, live reaction and correspondents reporting on the ground. We have been broadcasting ever since the full-scale invasion began.
Ukraine: The Latest’s regular contributors are:
David Knowles
David is Senior Audio Journalist & Presenter at The Telegraph, where he has worked for over three years. He has reported from across Ukraine during the full-scale invasion.
Dominic Nicholls
Dom is Associate Editor (Defence) at The Telegraph, having joined in 2018. He previously served for 23 years in the British Army, in tank and helicopter units. He had operational deployments in Iraq, Afghanistan and Northern Ireland.
Francis Dearnley
Francis is Assistant Comment Editor at The Telegraph. Prior to working as a journalist, he was chief of staff to the Chair of the Prime Minister’s Policy Board at the Houses of Parliament in London. He studied History at Cambridge University and on the podcast explores how the past shines a light on the latest diplomatic, political, and strategic developments.
They are also regularly joined by Telegraph reporters and correspondents around the world, including Joe Barnes (Brussels Correspondent), James Kilner, (Foreign Correspondent and Editor of the Central Asia & the South Caucasus Bulletin), Sophia Yan (Senior Foreign Correspondent), Roland Oliphant (Senior Foreign Correspondent), Colin Freeman (Foreign Correspondent), Danielle Sheridan (Defence Editor), and Tony Diver (US Editor).
By clicking Create Account you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use , Cookie policy and Privacy policy .
I take issue with how some Boomers talk about housing; “Just give up brunch and Netflix and you’ll have a home in five years,” they (wrongly) advise younger people.
Well, I stand by my objection, but it seems I’ve become a little out-of-touch on another topic myself.
Maybe it’s because I grew up near one of Ireland’s absolute cheapest cinemas, but I hadn’t quite realised how pricey the five-pound-plus snack has become until I took a rare trip to the big screen recently.
While I followed the scent of freshly popped corn to the counter like a cartoon elephant drawn to a bun, my friend stood aghast ― “There’s no way we’re buying popcorn,” she said.
Looking at its price, I realised why. But how come it’s so dear to begin with?
There is a method to the madness
Researchers at Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB) and the University of California (UC) wrote a paper stating that, though it’s painful, the prices do make sense.
That’s because, while only 20% of cinemas’ revenue comes from concessions (food, drink, and other non-ticket products), it accounts for a whopping 40% of their revenue.
Confused? I was too ― but it turns out that not all of the ticket revenue goes to the cinema. Instead, they share it with movie distributors.
The Stanford GSB and UC study also found that “die-hard” movie fans, who simply love going to the cinema, proportionally pay more for concessions ― low-traffic weeks, where bums were not hitting theatres’ seats, saw a higher proportion of snack profits than higher-traffic weeks.
That means ticket prices can stay lower, as people other than cinema-or-nothing movie-watchers will be put off by a high upfront fee.
“The argument that pricing secondary goods higher than primary goods can benefit consumers has been circulating for decades, but until now, no one has looked at hard data to see whether it’s true or not,” Wesley Hartmann, associate professor of marketing at Stanford GSB and co-author of the paper, said.
Essentially, your gut instinct is right; food profits bulk up what can be quite meagre ticket profits, especially during low-traffic weeks.
Any other insights?
Yep ― unsurprisingly, people who went to the theatre in groups tended to buy more concessions, as did those who bought their tickets online.
“The fact that the people who show up only for good or popular movies consume a lot less popcorn means that the total they pay is substantially less than that of people who will come to see anything,” Wesley Hartmann said.
“If you want to bring more consumers into the market, you need to keep ticket prices lower to attract them.”
Given that “The average price for a standard UK cinema ticket in 2023 was £7.92” compared to £6.53 in 2013 (per UK Cinema Association and Statista), that seems to have held true.
As your White House correspondent, I ask the tough questions and seek the answers that matter.
Your support enables me to be in the room, pressing for transparency and accountability. Without your contributions, we wouldn’t have the resources to challenge those in power.
Your donation makes it possible for us to keep doing this important work, keeping you informed every step of the way to the November election
Andrew Feinberg
White House Correspondent
The Africa Center for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization launched on Friday a continent-wide response plan to the outbreak of mpox, three weeks after WHO declared outbreaks in 12 African countries a global emergency.
The estimated budget for the six-month plan is almost $600 million, with 55% allocated to mpox response in 14 affected nations and boosting readiness in 15 others, while 45% is directed towards operational and technical support through partners, Africa CDC director-general Dr. Jean Kaseya told reporters on Friday.
The plan focuses on surveillance, laboratory testing and community engagement, Kaseya said, underscoring the fact that vaccines aren’t enough to fight the spreading outbreak.
The organization said that since the start of 2024, there have been 5,549 confirmed mpox cases across the continent, with 643 associated deaths, representing a sharp escalation in both infections and fatalities compared to previous years. The cases in Congo constituted 91% of the total number. Most mpox infections in Congo and Burundi, the second most affected country, are in children under age 15.
The plan comes a day after the first batch of mpox vaccines arrived in the capital of Congo, the center of the outbreak. The 100,000 doses of the JYNNEOS vaccine, manufactured by the Danish company Bavarian Nordic, have been donated by the European Union through HERA, the bloc’s agency for health emergencies. Another 100,000 are expected to be delivered on Saturday, Congolese authorities said.
“These vaccines are vital in safeguarding our health workers and vulnerable populations, and in curbing the spread of mpox,” Kaseya said Thursday.
The 200,000 doses are just a fraction of the 3 million that doses authorities have said are needed to end the mpox outbreaks in Congo, the epicenter of the global health emergency. The European Union countries pledged to donate more than 500,000 others, but the timeline for their delivery remained unclear.
Emmanuel Lampaert, Doctors Without Borders representative in Congo, said that vaccination was an additional tool, and that basic health measures were still crucial to combat the outbreak, and there were obviously challenges with that in many parts of Congo.
Congo issued an emergency approval of the vaccine, which has already been used in Europe and the United States in adults, but it remained unclear on Friday when the vaccination campaign would begin. For the moment, the rollout would be reserved for adults, Kaseya said, with priority targeted groups being those who have been in close contact with infected people and sex workers.
The European Medicines Agency is examining additional data to be able to administer it to children ranging in age from 12 to 17, which could happen at the end of the month, HERA Director-General Laurent Muschel said.
“We don’t have all the answers,” Muschel told reporters on Friday. “We learn by doing. We are going to adapt the strategy depending on the impact of the vaccination campaign.”
Tories Flog Manifesto That Secured Worst Defeat in History
mdi-fullscreen
The Tories have been updating their merchandise selection recently. Now that the iconic Keir Starmer Flip Flops have been discontinued…
There’s some brass neck on display as the Party quietly adds the 2024 manifesto, dubbed “The Onward Manifesto,” to its shop. For £10.99 the policies that dispatched 11 cabinet ministers (the most in history) and secured the worst Tory defeat in their parliamentary history could be yours. Please allow up to five days for delivery… or maybe fourteen years…
Our latest Folk Show features a number of new releases that have been featured recently on KLOF Mag, kicking off with The Rheingans Sisters‘ new single Drink Up, for which we also premiered the video earlier today (watch it here).